Another Northland Quality-Recognized Course! The following course went through a formal Quality Matters review in July and received QM recognition.
Course: HLTH2208 Pathophysiology
Faculty/ Course Developer: Elizabeth McMahon
Sherry Lindquist has the first QM Recognized Course at Northland! Her course was reviewed by a team of three trained and certified QM Course Peer Reviewers and meets QM Standards for quality online course design. Other institutions in Minnesota are also submitting courses for a QM review. You can view the entire list here.
NCTC (Northland Community and Technical College) is an important part of MOQI. MOQI stands for the Minnesota Online Quality Initiative. In March 2012, Northland and Minnesota State University, Mankato were designated by Minnesota Online as the co-coordinating institutions for Quality Matters implementation in the state. Currently there are 31 Quality Matters affiliate institutions within the MnSCU and University of Minnesota systems. The cooperative work the two institutions are doing is being organized under MOQI and is being coordinated by Elizabeth McMahon from Northland and Linda Jacoby from MSU-Mankato.
One of Northland’s primary roles as part of this cooperative with MSU-Mankato will be to oversee and manage a course review process that allows institutions in the state to have their own online courses reviewed through a formal QM course review process. By working with QM, this new “MOQI Process” has been designed so that courses that meet standards during the review will be awarded the QM certification seal. The process has also been designed with two other goals in mind: 1) maintaining a cost-effective process, and 2): providing opportunities for Certified Peer Reviewers from these Minnesota affiliates to serve on review teams.
Learn more about QM in Minnesota at the MOQI website.
Over the past year (2011-2012) a small group of faculty have been working to identify goals and strategies for implementing Quality Matters into the college faculty community and we’ve made progress! Here’s a summary of the activity for the past year:
- Seventeen faculty members attended an all-day Applying the Quality Matters Rubric APPQMR workshop on December 1, 2011.
- Several other faculty participated individually in various online APPQMR workshop offerings throughout spring and summer semesters in 2012.
- Several faculty went on to complete the Peer Reviewer course and have become Certified Peer Reviewers. Northland currently has 10 certified peer reviewers.
- Some of the Peer Reviewers from Northland have participated in formal course reviews for other colleges from across the United States.
- One faculty member has earned Master Reviewer certification and now chairs review teams for Quality Matters.
- Faculty are beginning to submit courses into a formal QM course review process. Courses that meet the QM Standards are recognized by QM on their national database of courses and receive a seal for the faculty member to display in their course. Northland’s QM Recognized Courses
This site is the new home for news about Quality Matters at Northland.